Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What kind of filling would you use for a basic yellow cake recipe?

I'm making my friend's birthday cake this weekend. I'm making it a two tiered yellow cake, with two layers in each tier. She doesn't really like chocolate so I'm sticking with more vanillaish flavors... I've always just used the canned frosting for the frosting and the filling, but since yellow cake is so plain and simple i was hoping to make the filling a little more exciting, so that people don't just look at the cake and think ';Wow, how boring. I could have done this myself.'; I'm still using the canned frosting to crumbcoat it before I put the fondant on, but I just need some good ideas for the filling. Please include recipes! Thanks for your help!What kind of filling would you use for a basic yellow cake recipe?
Apricot preserves or


Caramel cake filling


CARAMEL FILLING FOR CAKES





Brown 1/2 cup sugar on medium heat in heavy skillet - when brown pour in 1 cup warm milk - then add three cups sugar and 2 tablespoons Karo syrup. Let boil until soft ball stage. Remove from heat and add 1/4 pound butter. Let cool and beat, spread on cake.What kind of filling would you use for a basic yellow cake recipe?
a lot of people like raspberry
use pineapple preserves/jelly for the filling... my grandmother used to make her cakes that way
i would use a strawberry center
Hi, I use 3 kinds of fillings, pineapple, guava and caramel ,. and all of them come ready .
lemon filling could be really delish!!!


there's a few ways to do it, but my favorite is cream cheese/butter frosting w/ powdered sugar, and lemon juice and maybe 1/4 tsp of vanilla.





i would use (softened) 1 cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 box pwd sugar, lemon juice and/or zest, 1 tsp. milk to make it spreadable (only if it's too thick). you could also add a drop of any color food coloring to make it even prettier.





i have the exact recipe, but don't know if you'd like lemon.





edit: also pudding fillings are good!
I just made a very similar cake for a friend's birthday. I made a strawberry cream cheese filling and it came out excellent and it was very simple to make.





1 package of cream cheese


1 stick of butter


2 tsp vanilla extract


strawberries


powdered sugar (about 3/4 cup but taste to see how much it needs)


and then just blend the ingredients together, and you're done!
First take one package of strawberry jello mix according to directions poke hole in both layers pour over and place cake in fridge for 1 hour than remove frost with cream cheese frosting on 1st layer place slice strawberries on top of layer, than place 2nd layer and frost it place remaining strawberries on top. It makes for a different twist and a pretty cake.
Jam!
What I've done in the past is I mix preserves with the tub frosting. For a yellow cake, I would mix a vanilla tub with apricot preserves or plum. Try to stay away from anything with too many seeds like raspberry. I've even mixed plum with chocolate before and everyone loved it. Good luck and happy birthday to your friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment